Wednesday, July 4, 2007

Tooth Decay & Knowledge.

I shall start with Paris. What was a one day stop over in May now seems like a lifetime spent in the capital of France. A day, full of rain, as I had got out of Paris Bercy and realized the train was from Gare du Nord. Far off and had spent 2 hours just trying to figure this out on a classic french map, all the while getting drenched, and trying to reclaim some peace of mind. Gare du Nord was finally available in sight, and in hindsight, going there first seems like a splendid decision, especially the blank look of its Belgian architecture based platforms with no trains coming in or going out at that moment when my eyes did shadow it completely.

This is the Louvre which was the first sight I did visit before heading west (atleast in my direction plan) for Notre Dam. Did a bit of cleaning on the picture to give it an 'evening' feel, and now it feels the gloom it did always deserve. The next is from near the Notre Dam during the evening. What a lovely walk it was all the way from wherever I was coming from, all alone, no one to disturb me, the wine bottle purchased. The island had it owns charm, and the Turkish 'Kebabs' drowned in the wine's spirit. No photoshop at all and if I recall correct, this was the only 1 hour during the day when it did not drizzle a bit.This last one is while walking from the 'Louvre' to 'Champs De Alleys' in rain, late evening. With the bottle of wine still in tow, restricting myself from jumping out in pale excitement. The transient nature of trees which looked so "Autumn" in early summer. Tourists, which otherwise flooded towns like army ants, were in reduced numbers, and it was a true walk to remember for me.
Now, harsh reality again. It is near two days and this habit of writing in here is still not diminished. Which is actually a great thing. Actually, a good thing. But in class, a professor recommended a book which supposedly takes one from "good to great". It is difficult living in 2007, since everyone does not seem to have read at all and if any have, their favorite books range from "seven habits of highly effective people" to Shiv Khera's "You Can Win". It is almost as if before the books were written, people did firmly believe they never could win. I did give the former a try and put it down almost instantly. Not that I am any more motivated or confident compared to the rest, but it is just this matter that is so repulsive. People taking everything for granted. Coming soon is a post about "things I hate, things that annoy me, things that I will never do..." etc. But still, these have taken expectation levels to such extreme depths that now, when someone claims a favorite as "Angels & Demons", it certainly is consolation. And I am sure half of more say it just to act cool in the sense that like other run of the mill stray idiots, they did not say "The Da Vinci Code". But I do quite enjoy people who know how to read well and have read good books but now rather, wait for the book to be made into a flick and then make the most of it. Maybe they have something good to do in their simple life.

I also cannot stand people who use the words "buddy", "bravo", "rockin". Actually, those who used to say "rockin'" back in 2004 have themselves taken a dislike towards saying it. I last used it in maybe 2001-02. I must be way cooler. Now, the sun has been doing some catching up and movement is becoming dull. Yesterday, as in Tuesday, was synonymous of any typical Tuesday, when one wakes up, knowing in advance it is the most hated day of the week and yet makes a feeble attempt to whisper through the day. The classes were a drag. The first class had this faculty fellow who seemed like one of those people who come to Bombay to act in movies and are unable to secure even back-end roles and thus, resort to other honourable means of income, never the while forgetting their initial pursuit of happyness and sticking to portraying their love for acting in whatever occupation they complete daily. The professor told us how many adversities he had been through in life, and how he had to come to Bombay from Karachi in 1947 as a refugee. I did not feel sorry for him. I tried to, but alas, maybe it was the drama he included while making it so. Wait a second, did I just say back-end there. LOL. I also hate people who use "LOL". It is OUT OF VOGUE, you 1957 born people.

I myself feel old. My bones do not permit me sports to a feasible level, my teeth are losing colour due to ash deposits (hah!!), and I feel tired every 15 minutes, AND I go off to arbit sleep while in conversation. Time to change sleep habits, and utilize more of the free time, that is around 23 hours/day. I have again, become accustomed to letting people finish their lines and sentences, let them, I tell myself. Once they are done, react in the way you generally do and they will themselves realize foolishness.

The second class was this teacher who came to pronounce a subject called "Written Communication in Management". I mistakenly acknowledged that I write for more than half an hour a day at a stretch and then she had to come back to me more than once. I hate teachers like her, especially the red colour hair she had. Disappointing and not expected from a sensible teacher. *does a spell check on whatever is written so far and realized he does not know how to spell HAH, LOL, and HAPPINESS*.
And then last night was spent playing FREE CELL. What a good game, I like such stuff where there is a certainty of a result, either way. Today morning, or Wednesday (I say the day names out aloud for simple re assurance) was spent in momentarily waking up and going back to sleep only to wake up again and rush through the showers and run to college. College was nothing and till twenty minutes ago, us students had become so enthralled with the whole MBA concept that we took to doing self preparatory case studies. Talk about initiative.

I have to thank the Chai Waala outside college in this post. Dude, if you do ever read this, thank you.

The Delhi winters. I miss their charm. Each morning used to seem to be colder than the last, and each morning was more difficult to step out of a warm bed into a cold world. I used to shiver, hug myself (what a nice phrase - to hug yourself), push my head through a cardigan, go to the window, though more out of bravado than anything else, and stare out at a cold world. And I used to say to myself, it is colder than yesterday. The nights were even special. The morning russet mantle clad had not yet come out to walk over the dew. And in the darkness, you could hear the calm ticking of the wall clock and other musical insect sounds.
To twelve hours of classes tomorrow..!

2 comments:

P said...

What a lovely way to describe Delhi winters..keep writing.. :)

Jalap. said...

Thank You, whoever you are.